Over 350 talented singers from the Steilacoom Historical School District put on a choral concert on Thursday, December 13 that simply wowed the community.
“Winterlight: A Choral Celebration”, held at Pioneer Middle School in DuPont, featured choirs from Saltar’s Point Elementary, Pioneer Middle School and Steilacoom High School.
A packed house was treated to twenty-nine songs ranging from ’Amazing Grace’, ‘Danny Boy’, ‘Pie Jesu’ to ‘All I Want For Christmas’, ‘Up on the Housetop’ and ‘Simple Gifts’. The audience joined in during the singing of ‘The First Noel’, ‘Joy to the World’ and ‘White Christmas’.
Saltar’s Point Choir Director Taylor Reynolds led both the fourth grand and fifth grade choirs in singing three pieces each. Both choirs sang songs honoring the Military.
Pioneer Middle School and Steilacoom High School Choir Director Lauren Whitham led the Steilacoom Chamber Choir, Pioneer Middle School Girls and Boys Choirs, the Steilacoom High School Women’s Concert Choir and the Men’s Concert Choir. They were accompanied by Reuben Walker on piano. Julie Landes accompanied the Women’s Concert Choir on piano during a performance of ‘Danny Boy’. The Men’s Concert Choir brought the house down with an a capella version of Smokey Robinson’s ‘My Girl’, with Patrick Thomas providing some amazing vocal percussion during the performance.
All of the performances were outstanding. From the poise of the students, to their vocal range and expressions, you can tell they take their singing seriously and are being led by an extraordinary director. Whitham’s leadership explains why so many students will be representing the district during this years All State Honor Choir. They include: Kei Bugay, Adalaide Brock, Sariah Crow, Keilee Daubon, Jonathan Flores, Laurianna Gonchar, Jeffrey Johnson, Kylie Mageo, Hannah Norwood, Kyla Raygor, Sachiel Santos-Ortiz.
The Pioneer Middle School and Steilacoom High School Choirs will perform again during their Martin Luther King Assemblies on January 18, 2013.
Here is a list of 2013 performances:
- 14-17 All State Honor Choir, Portland, Oregon: by audition only.
- 21 – Saltar’s Point Arts Gala, 6 p.m.
- 26 – Pioneer MS Solo/Ensemble Concert, 7 p.m.
- 28 – SHS Choirs will perform at the Pacific Lutheran University High School Choral Invitational, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 1 – PLU High School Choral Invitational, for SHS only, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 9 – Solo/Ensemble Contest for Pioneer Middle School and SHS at Spanaway Middle School, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 12 – Steilacoom District Choral Festival for Saltar’s Point Elementary Pioneer Middle School and SHS at PLU Lagerquist Concert Hall, 7 p.m.